Trying to ignore people you do not want to add as friends on Facebook can be difficult. Let’s imagine that you just joined Facebook to connect with your friends and your boss wants to befriend you.
Let’s think of what to do:
1. Deny their request. This can get very uncomfortable. A suggestion to them that you do not really use this to communicate might work but, this may damage your professional relationship.
2. Ignore the request. The person may just go away but, this is not likely because you have to see them in the morning when you report to work.
3. If you do accept, you may be in danger of letting them invade your privacy. This can be very damaging to a career. Think hard before you do this.
4. LinkedIn can be suggested because you can tell them that you would like to keep your relationship on a professional level.
5. Try using the Facebook permission features and create a group just for colleagues, which will allow them to only see certain types of information.
6. Make sure you know how to use the privacy feature in Facebook.
7. Make friends list to categorize your groups of friends.
Whatever option you select, you may still jeopardize a very sound working relationship unless you do it right. It seems that Facebook can be a little unsettling if you do not know what you are doing. I caution you to be careful what you do and say because you may ruin your professional life if you open the door to let your boss in.